Historic Addergoole

Addergoole Parish, in the Diosese of Killala, takes its name from Addergoole Abbey, which is now in ruins and lies on a point of land jutting out onto Lough Conn, between Pullawalkhouse Bay (Polla, Bhacuis, Baker's Pool) and Castlehill Bay, just 1 mile east of the village of Lahardane.

The ruined Abbey and extensive graveyard that surrounds it, is in a very beautiful and tranquil setting on the shore of Lough Conn and has some really interesting old headstones and carvings.

Mount Nephin which rises to 2640 feet above sea level is stunningly beautiful and magnificently dominates the entire parish of Addergoole. Many climbers and hill-walkers visit the summit of Nephin each year, particularly around the traditional Fairday in Lahardane, August 15th. The Addergoole river runs into Lough Conn and both river and lake support a healthy salmon run.

For a full historical description and a list of Addergoole's 56 townlands click here: Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837.

In 2005 the noted local historian, the late Tony Donohue, produced "Addergoole, Its Land and People". This book, printed by Carrick Print 2000 Ltd, gives a detailed and very readable account of the history of Addergoole Parish.

Send us your pictures with captions, or submit a historical Addergoole article. Email us at: info@addergoole-titanic.com

Social Networking